SUSTAINABILITY & DIVERSITY AT PENN STATE
Penn State defines sustainability as: the simultaneous pursuit of human health and happiness, environmental quality, and economic well-being for current and future generations.
This comprehensive integration of sustainability into the University’s research, teaching, outreach, and operations will prepare students, faculty, and staff to be sustainability leaders.
Sustainability is a pursuit, a voyage of discovery, in which we can work together to forge solutions to the problems that are creating instability in our world. The global Sustainable Development Goals, agree to by 193 nations in 2015, provides a blueprint for a just, equitable, healthy future for all. There are 17 interlinked goals and each has a set of targets intended to be achieved by 2030. Thus, this is the decade of action. Below are some resources to expand an understanding of the term "sustainability," how it relates to every person at Penn State, the factors threatening the quality of life for future generations, and suggested frameworks to create solutions.
Sustainability Resources by Type
- Introducing the Sustainable Development Goals: An animated video explaining the Sustainable Development Goals, their evolution from the Millenium Development goals, and briefly mentioning their relationship to the Paris Accords and the Pope Francis' Encyclical. Here's another four minute video that emphasizes the interdisciplinary nature of the SDGs.
- Sustainability Explained Through Animation, a short 5-minute snapshot of how we should care for our planet.
- What is Sustainability? In this video sponsored by the European Foundation for Management Development, Jonathan T. Scott explains a business perspective of sustainability, offering insights on how industries can reap benefits when they cut waste, extend the useful lives of resources, and think in the long term.
- Five of the SDGs focus on social issues and through the videos below, one can explore the connection of social and environmental justice issues:
Money Talks: Profits Before Patient Safety http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/money-talks-profits-before-patient-safety/
- How Great Leaders Inspire Action: What makes a great leader? Simon Sinek has a simple but powerful model for inspirational leadership all starting with a golden circle and the question "Why?" His examples include Apple, Martin Luther King, and the Wright brothers .
Guides and PDFs
- Penn State Outreach Green Team Strategic Plan
- Social Justice Action Resources
- Activities to explore social justice issues
- Resources to explore social justice issues
- Black Lives Matter LibGuide: A library guide serving as a centralized resource for information about historical and current discrimination of African Americans in the United States, Pennsylvania and the Greater Philadelphia Region. Created by the Libraries’ faculty and staff at Vairo Library at Penn State Brandywine.
- Charles L. Blockson Collection of African-Americana and the African Diaspora: A multidisciplinary collection including books, magazines, photographs, manuscripts, sheet music, postcards, record albums and artifacts of the African experience in the United States, Latin America, Caribbean and Africa, dating from 1632 to the present.
- The Natural Step Sustainability Primer
- Penn State Sustainability Strategic Plan
- Every third year, Penn State completes a national assessment, created by the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) of its progress towards embedding sustainability into its teaching, research, operations and outreach. In October 2014, Penn State received a gold rating for its STARS submission. The report illustrates the many ways in which the University and its community are progressing towards its sustainability goals and opportunities for further advancement.
- Sustainability Planning Guidebook: The guidebook is the result of a several month process involving faculty from multiple colleges and staff from several units. The guidebook aims to help Penn State colleges, campuses and units engage with sustainability strategically and it offers frameworks to understand a variety of concepts connected to sustainability.
- Food Waste Reduction Strategies
- Paul Shrivastava's New Year's Resolution for PA
- The "Sustainability Lives Here" presentation
- Recording of the "Sustainability Lives Here" presentation
- Discussion Questions for the presentation
- How Diversity Matters: The Connection between Sustainability and Diversity
- How Diversity Matters Presentation Recording